06a1.jpg (528 bytes)06b.jpg (2511 bytes)06c.jpg (3182 bytes)06d.jpg (2814 bytes)06e.jpg (2251 bytes)06f.jpg (2476 bytes)06i.jpg (530 bytes)
062.jpg (2100 bytes)

Railway Heritage Sites along the Sunrise Trail

sunrise.jpg (142252 bytes)

Point or click on numbers for information about that location.
To return to the map use the back arrow on your browser.

Sections of railway now in use as trails are outlined in dark green.
For more information see the Rail to Trails website.
To return to this web page close the new window.

081.jpg (2428 bytes)
sunrise-01.jpg (1984 bytes)
19 Amherst 19 Amherst
VIA Rail Station, in use by railway
21 Tidnish

21 Tidnish Dock
The remains of one of Nova Scotia's most ambitious engineering projects may be seen at Tidnish Dock Provincial Park. It is the eastern terminus of a never completed 28 km railway designed to transport ships from the Bay of Fundy. Walk the trail to Tidnish Bridge and the local Visitor Information Centre.
Route 366 at Tidnish Cross Roads.
Call 1-902 661-8667.

Open: mid May to mid October- please call for hours.

For more information about the Chignecto Marine Railway click here. Note this is an Adobe file.
To return to this page close the new window.

Pugwash station 6OC02 BL small.jpg (7974 bytes) 22 Pugwash
CNR Station, public library, C@P site
23 Tatamagouche

23 Tatamagouche
Train Station Inn.
21 Station Street off Route 6.
Internet access. Call 1-888-724-5233.
Open: May to October -  Daily 8 to 8; November to April by appointment.

For more information click here.

20 Alexandra

Thanks to Rod Desborough for the photo.

Tatamagouche
This car was built in Amherst by Rhodes & Curry in 1905 as the Government of Canada Official Car "Alexandra". In 1929 it became CN car 100. After several number changes it became part of the Discovery Train in 1982 and then went to the National Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa and finally returned to its birthplace - the town of Amherst where it was used as a welcome bureau. The Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society has now purchased the car and moved it to the Train Station Inn in Tatamagouche where it will be restored. For more information about "Alexandra" click here and for Project Updates click here. To return to this page use your back key.
24 Pictou

24 Pictou
The Pictou station of 1904 is modelled after 19th century English stations that owed their Elizabethan style to nearby country estates. Formerly the departure point for Intercolonial Railway trains connecting with steamers for Charlottetown, PEI, the station overlooks Pictou harbour and now houses the Northumberland Fisheries Museum.
71 Front Street. .
Call 1-902 485-4972. Admission Charged.
Open: mid June to mid October -
Monday to Saturday 9 to 6; Sunday noon to 5.

The town web site includes a photo of "The Atlantic arriving at the CNR station (1908)". To see the photo click here.
To return to this page close the new window.

CBCNS Stellarton

25 Stellarton
CB&CNS Station, in use by the railway.
26 Stellarton

26 Stellarton
The Nova Scotia Museum of Industry.
Trans Canada Highway, Exit 24.
Call 1-902 755-5425 for rates and hours.
Open: Year Round.

The former VIA Rail station is located on the museum site.

For more information click here.

27 Antigonish

27 Antigonish
This Intercolonial station was built in 1908 and was active until the end of VIA service in early 1990. The Antigonish Heritage Museum features displays of local cultural material and welcomes researchers in their resource room.
20 East Main Street,
(Trans Canada Highway Exit 32 to Route 337).
Call 1-902 863-6160.
Open: Year Round - July & August Monday to Saturday
10 to 5; September - June please call.

For more information click here.
To return to this page close the new window.

sunrise-03.jpg (1382 bytes)
10.jpg (2378 bytes)

[ Home Page | Major Museums | Attractions | Resources | Information | Events | Q&A ]

12.jpg (3827 bytes)

Copyright 2006, the Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society, all rights reserved.

Last updated 28 December 2006.

You are visitor since 11 July 2003.